That’s probably one of the most important questions we should ask ourselves before we catch a flight. Unfortunately, it could be the last thing we take into consideration while getting ready for a trip, but the reality is that getting sick on a plane is not a myth, it happens, but you can follow some tips to at least try to avoid it.
Is not about being paranoid or compulsive about the issue, is more about being conscious of the fact that you will be basically trapped for a certain amount of time in the same space, breathing the same air, with someone who might be sick. Actually, if we think how the processes are, you will be occupying a seat in the plane that less than an hour ago was occupied by another person. Was that person sick? What if they left a virus in the space that now and for your entire trip will be yours?
We all know that the time taken by airlines between one flight and the next one in the same plane is minimal. They clean the restrooms, pick up the trash from the floor and that’s basically it.
So, we are facing a situation in which we depend on ourselves, and nobody else. Now, here are some tips that experts, including doctors, recommend us to follow in order to avoid getting out of that plane with an unwanted guest:
- Bring a portable pack of disinfectant wipes with you. Clean the seat and every part of it that you will be in touch with, but pay especial attention to the tray, which is proven to be one of the dirtiest parts of a plane. Even if you cleaned it up, never eat directly from it.
- Use the air vent above you. It creates a current to keep germs away from you, and the air filters actually help to capture viruses and bacteria that, otherwise, could land on you.
- Don’t consume tap water from the plane and don’t use it to brush your teeth either.
- While using the restroom, always try to avoid direct contact with the door, the lid of the toilet or any other surface.
- Use sanitizer after using the restroom.
- On an international flight, ask for hot meals. The heat helps to kill germs.
- Try not to use pillows or blankets from the plane. Only the first flights of the day have fresh and clean sets.
If we think about all we can avoid by taking simple steps like these, it’s not crazy, right? Nobody wants to start a trip, even if is a business one, feeling sick. Before your next plane trip, think about this and enjoy a safe and healthy flight!